Thursday, February 21, 2008

reflection of writing

Having a blog immediately after completing the paper, I feel that I must truly make the reflection blog just that, a reflection of the paper. This reflection is according to Donald Murray, and his essay “Writing is Rewriting.” He states that he had misconceptions regarding writing, and the due process of such, and states that he has since seen over those.

The first misconception was one which states “first draft is the best.” I still believe this. I feel as if my initial paper was the greatest, and that is because of the reason he stated, it is unique to me. It also did not help that those people who reviewed it stated that it was good, and that my points had been made. This helped to fuel the supposed “misconception” that I still have, the first draft is the best.

Seeing how I did not really rewrite, I conformed to the “old- fashioned” style of writing. My style was reformed to conform to that style of the “proper” writer. I conformed and put more appropriate and straight forward transitions into my paper, making it a great paper according the writing style of the professional man. This does not at all mean that I think that I have made a poor decision by changing things.

Changing things in my paper is something that has benefited me. My paper is good, because I feel as if it is, but like everything, it could always be better. Transitions have always been my weakness, and it is most likely the one thing that will be noticeable in the blog, and I feel that having people check my transitions is for the better. Also, I like to take pride in the first paper, because having an assignment and a loose direction is not as good as having a paper that has been completed. So I must I have taken pride in everything I have done, and therefore will always think that my first draft, the initial one, is the best. Though it gets reviewed, and revised, and eventually re-revised, and therefore ends up better than imagined.

The conclusion for this is basically that those misconceptions of writing will most likely never be broken in me, because I do take pride in the work I do, and like to feel as if I have uniqueness.

1 comment:

Mr. Barnette said...

I'll keep this in mind as I get to your paper this weekend! I like to think I believe that good writing is never done, just due, but really I often write so that much of my first draft ends up in the final paper as well. That process has its advantages and disadvantages.