Thursday, February 7, 2008

pet peeves in english

Another late night blog, another point from the class. This week, on discussion of the topic “On Black English” and what annoys us the most about language. I do not have many pet peeves when it comes to the English language, simply because I butcher it more than anyone else I know. But I do have two peeves: the first being the adding of -er at the end of every adjective, and the second being the excessive use of similes and metaphors in a conversation.

The first problem is one in which folks, I say folks to appeal to the annoying feelings in the reader, add -er ending to an adjective, which is entirely wrong in some ways, and just sounds wrong in others. For example, badder, a word that is grammatically wrong, has become a mainstay in the vernacular of America, most likely thanks in part to South Park: Bigger, BADDER, and Uncut. Folks have decided that because some producers, who are somehow deemed authority on language, has used improper grammar, then it is now right to use. Another example was provided by Mr. Barnette, when he stated that certain tasks are “weightier” than others. I assume, simply because he is far more qualified than I to say that, seeing as he is an English professor, that “weightier” is correct grammar. I am not trying to be bashful, but it sounds improper or uneducated to say “weightier” or any other adjective that ends in -er. I understand that any other person reading this would state that this is exactly how words like “longer” and “stronger” and other words similar have been created, but I would still like to say it sounds wrong.

The second thing that annoys me is the use, or rather, excessive use of similes and metaphors. I do not really have too much a leg to stand on with this one, except that it sounds as if the one doing too many comparisons has no education or the lack of vocabulary to make an adequate description.

The only point this blog has to it is that casual oral speakers these days are becoming far too casual, and the language seems to be dumbing down because of it. Our language is going through an evolution, which I acknowledge and accept, but it seems as if the vernacular of the language is forcing the language to become simpler, which I fear will lead to a non-descriptive language in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dissagree with the adding "er" to the end of an adjetive is incorrect. I guess it's just because I fine "more bad" and "most bad" to sound worse than "badder" or "baddest." When I moved down here I was using many of these, especially with single syllable words, and recieved quite a bit of flak for it. As for "weightier," I agree that "more weighted" does sound better, especially when you throw in "weightiest" (although that is fun to say).

And I don't think that our language is being too casual, or that it's dumbing down. If you look at Shakespeare's writing and then that of a modern writer, there isn't much difference in the style of writing, aside from the iambic pentameter and idioms. With this, I feel that it's safe to assume that there were people that spoke much like people do today. This would mean that the language isn't being dumbed down, but is instead just being more widespread for people to view all the different styles of speaking.

KK said...

Language is inevitably changing. Our own unique personalities our presented as a result of the informality in our speach. I don't think this is necessarily a bad feature. Although I believe we should talk the way we are most comfortable, I do recognize the importance at times to know how to speak formally like the genrations before us.

We add "er" to various adjectives sometimes without even realizing it. Once you hear a particular word (one that is grammatically incorrect) used often, we stuff it in our personal dictionary and move on. We are all victims of this. The word "simpler" used at the end of your blog is a great example of how words "sneakingly" find their way into our arguments.

Stephen said...

McSeriously, I think a person has every right in the world to make up their own words…. Just don’t expect me to understand what you are saying. No but really, I don’t think that it is any worser to add an –er at the end of a word than it is to say “you guys” and things such as. Anyway, I think I probably have a few pet peeves such as saying bring and take interchangeably. Also, another is ending a word in speech in a preposition. My parents do this all the time and it makes me want to slit my wrists. Well not really but you get the point. That is why I choose to do my paper on language and I am seeing if people learn language mostly from their peers or through their parents.